June 1, 2018
Creation of the New Europe
Celebrating 100th anniversary of the creation of new national states in Central/Eastern/Southern Europe following the Paris Peace Conference (01-18-1919 to 01-21-1920)
- Celebrate creation of new national states in Europe – Czechoslovakia, Poland, Romania, Greece etc.
- Discuss political and logistical challenges associated with a new state creation
- Celebrate historical personalities that participated in the process – Masaryk, Stefanik, Wilson, Dmowski, Paderewski, Venizelos, and others
- Yesterday’s creations – tomorrow’s challenges – historical perspectives on challenges of new states (for ex: German minority in the Czech Republic, Kosovo, transfer of ethnic communities to new states, etc. …)
- Conference to be complementary to individual Embassy events and activities.
Conference organizers/sponsors and venue
- SVU Washington DC Chapter, Czechoslovak Society of Arts & Sciences (SVU), Wilsonian Club
- Embassy of the Czech Republic, Embassy of Slovakia (Conference venue), Embassies of Poland, Hungary, and Romania (potentially other)
- Woodrow Wilson House
- Organizing committee:
Prof. Igor Lukes (BostonU), Prof. Eliot Sorel (GWU), Robert Enholm (Global fellow, Woodrow Wilson Center), Frank Safertal (Wilsonian Club), Roman Kostovski (SVUW), Prof. Jan Svejnar (promised support), Prof. John Palka (U of Washington), Prof. Hugh Agnew (GWU), Kevin J. McNamara (author), prominent US Polish historian/personality
For Conference details, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
H.E. Ambassador Peter Kmec, H.E. Ambassador Petr Gandalovic, Hon. Frank Safertal, Pres. Wilsonian Club, Wilson Library, 2014.