June 1, 2018
Creation of the New Europe
Celebrating 100th anniversary of the creation of new national states in Central/Eastern/Southern Europe following the Paris Peace Conference (01-18-1919 to 01-21-1920)
- Celebrate creation of new national states in Europe – Czechoslovakia, Poland, Romania, Greece etc.
- Discuss political and logistical challenges associated with a new state creation
- Celebrate historical personalities that participated in the process – Masaryk, Stefanik, Wilson, Dmowski, Paderewski, Venizelos, and others
- Yesterday’s creations – tomorrow’s challenges – historical perspectives on challenges of new states (for ex: German minority in the Czech Republic, Kosovo, transfer of ethnic communities to new states, etc. …)
- Conference to be complementary to individual Embassy events and activities.
Conference organizers/sponsors and venue:
- SVU Washington DC Chapter, Czechoslovak Society of Arts & Sciences (SVU), Wilsonian Club
- Embassy of the Czech Republic, Embassy of Slovakia (Conference venue), Embassies of Poland, Hungary, and Romania (potentially other)
- Woodrow Wilson House
- Organizing committee:
Frank Safertal (Wilsonian Club), Prof. Eliot Sorel (GWU), Robert Enholm (Global fellow, Woodrow Wilson Center), Prof. Hugh Agnew (GWU), Kevin J. McNamara (author), Roman Kostovski (SVU-DC), Prof. Jan Svejnar (promised support), Prof. John Palka (U of Washington), …
For Conference details, please email: email@example.com
H.E. Ambassador Peter Kmec, H.E. Ambassador Petr Gandalovic, Hon. Frank Safertal, Pres. Wilsonian Club, Wilson Library, 2014.